How many shingles do i need for a 10×12 shed | How many bundles of shingles do i need for a 10×12 shed | how to calculate shingles quantity for 10×12 shed.
Calculation of shingles quantity is simple and easy if your shed roof is flat, but majority of house in US have pitch roof that makes calculation of square footage area for pitch roof difficult.
The shed footprint is 10×12 = 120 sq ft but the roof surface is quite a bit more due to slope. Gambrel roofs have different slopes and configuration pitch but generally the roof surface is roughly twice the footprint in square footage.
This article describes the basic maths calculation to calculate roof materials such as shingles. If you have ever question yourself “how many squares footage or square is my house roof?” this article will help you find the square footage of your roof. This article describe about the maths formula to figure out how much shingles you need to order.
When you talked Roofing is about using the term “square”, a “square” equal to 100 square feet of roof or a 10 foot by 10 foot area. So a roof that has 200 square feet of area has 2 squares. Remember that unless the roof is flat, the square footage of the building is different than the square footage of the roof because of the slope or pitch of the roof and the overhangs.
Eves overhangs can vary from a few inches to a few feet depending on requirements; however, it is suggested width of an overhang is between 12” and 18” for eaves and no more than 8” for rakes. That said, overhangs can extend as far as 2′ without the need for external supports. In this article we assume 2 feet overhang in both dimensions.
How do you calculate the square footage of 10×12 shed roof
Procedure to calculate the square footage of 10×22 shed roof:-
● Step 1) Figure out the area of the shed plus the overhangs:– determine the squre footage of the shed foot print by measuring the length and width of the shed including the overhangs. Assume the overhangs are 1 feet both sides eves and rake then you have 2 feet extra, so each dimension for 10×12 shed roof with overhangs is around 12’×14′ = 168 square footage.
● Step 2) Find the roof pitch or slope:- the roof pitch is the amount of slope. The slope is described by the “rise” in inches or how far up it goes over the “run” in inches or how far horizontal it goes. We will use a 6 in 12 pitch. For every 6 inches the roof goes up to the peak it goes 12 inches horizontally.
● Step 3) Calculate the square of rise and run and sum it:- square of rise 6×6=36, square of run = 12×12 = 144, add both 36 +144 = 180.
● Step 4) Find the square root of the sum:- square root of 180 = 13.417
● Step 5) Sum divide by 12 to get the product:- square root of 180 = 13.417 is divided by 12 as 13.417 ÷ 12 = 1.118, hence 1.118 equals the product
● Step 6) Multiply the product by the flat roof area and divide by 100:- our 10×12 shed square footage with overhangs is 168 sq ft, so 1.118 x 168 = 188 square feet, 188 / 100 = 1.88 squares.
● Step 7) Add 10% for wastes:- wastages 10% of 1.88 squares = 0.188, so final squares of shingles do you need = 1.88+ 0.188 = 2.068 squares, it is rounded to 2 squares.
◆You Can Follow me on Facebook and
Subscribe our Youtube Channel
How many shingles do i need for a 10×12 shed
As a rule of thumb, there are 3 bundles of shingles required to a square or 100 sq ft of roof surface area. There are also 29 standard-sized shingles (three-tab strip shingles) measuring 12 inches by 36 inches in each bundle. A square of shingles is the number of shingles needed to cover 100 sq feet of roof area.
However, shingles are packaged in a way that they are light enough for the average person to carry around. When shingles come three bundles to the square, there are 29 standard-sized shingles (12 in. by 36 in.) in each bundle.
Asphalt shingles and most other roof shingles are typically available in bundles. For each roofing square or 100 sq ft, you will need three bundles of shingles. The average size of 10×12 shed roof is 2 squares, which typically requires 6 bundles of three-tab asphalt shingles or any other starter strips.
How many shingles do i need for a 10×12 shed
For a 10×12 shed roof, you will need approximately 2 squares or 6 bundles or 174 pieces of three tab strip standard-sized shingles (12 inch by 36 inch) when overhangs is 1 feet and roof slope is 6/12. Thus, to cover roof of 10×12 shed, 6 bundles or 174 pieces of shingles or 2 squares of roofing materials will be needed.
How many bundles of shingles do i need for a 10×12 shed
For each roofing square, you will need three bundles of shingles, so for 2 square = 3×2 = 6 bundles. Thus, for a 10×12 shed roof, on average, you will need 6 bundles of three tab strip standard-sized shingles (12 inch by 36 inch) when overhangs is 1 feet and roof slope is 6/12.
Note:- Be aware, the only way to get a 100 percent accurate measurement is to have a local roofing contractor come out to professionally measure your shed roof and give you a quote. However, I explained about to get a rough measurement of your shed square footage and shingles quantity.
For a 10×12 shed roof, you will need approximately 2 squares or 6 bundles or 274 pieces of three tab strip standard-sized shingles (12 inch by 36 inch) when overhangs is 1 feet and roof slope is 6/12.